XI century origins
The Saltemnano name preserves the memory of its own Etruscan name, Saltinnanū, revealing the ancient site.
The town is mentioned for the first time in a 1055 Bubble, with which the Emperor Henry III, submitted to the authority of the bishop of Siena Giovanni. 1063, on the initiative of Bishop John, is dated the founding of the settlement church, St. Michael the Archangel or just Sant'Angelo, whose only surviving trace is the name "The Church" or Poggino near the castle. At the same time, between the eleventh and twelfth centuries, the settlement date from the first fortifications.
In 1255 the inhabitants of the castle appear organized some time in a "comunitas et homines de Saltemnanum", an institution that will survive until the eighteenth century, and which will soon be submitted to the dominion of Siena. The castle played it for Siena, between XIII and XIV, an important controlling the territory, together with the surrounding castles of the Vicariate of Percenna, in particular for the maintenance of roads and bridges over the stream Sorra, at his feet, and of 'Arbia, and for the fortification and the custody of Buonconvento village in 1372.
Saltennano was also an active agricultural center: in the fourteenth century the Ptolemies, one of the most important banking and noble families of Siena, we had many properties, as well as the hospital of Santa Maria della Scala, who also owned a "hospital" in the Sorbitella Poggio serve the pilgrims and travelers of Francigena. The community, subjected to Siena, was obliged to pay an annual fee, or wealth, confirming the submission and contribution to the Siena Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta: the inhabitants of Saltennano went there every year, together with the municipalities and the Lords of statewide, an offer candles for August 15, feast of the Assumption of Mary into heaven.
The settlement and the surrounding area crisis came with the plague of 1348, which in Siena decimated 2/3 of the population, and continued throughout the fifteenth century and beyond with the succession of plagues, famines and raids of mercenary companies.
Not by chance in 1402 to Saltennano were 10 men to the custody of the formwork while in 1453 will complain at the Siena government the many damages at the hands of the Duke of Calabria. In 1449 the church was in ruins.
Starting from 1420 Saltennano is sold to the noble family of Siena Pecci: in that year Giacomo de 'Pecci hosted Pope Martin V (Oddone Colonna, 1369-1431) and the papal court in the castle. The castle, whose fort building with four towers had been rebuilt or improved for the occasion, as well as statio on the journey of the papal court was also the backdrop for an agreement between James and the pope, where the first granted to a second loan of 45,000 florins receiving in pledge and guarantee the fortress of Spoleto, which he held for several years.
From the middle of the seventeenth century the Saltennano property passes to the Massari family, originally from Radicofani and emigrated to Siena in the late fourteenth and early fifteenth century, and still lives there today. The seventeenth century, with its submission to the Medici and the Grand Duchy of Tuscany saw a slight improvement for Saltennano.
In 1777, finally, a decree of the Grand Duke of Tuscany to Buonconvento communities will aggregate the "common cause" surrounding, including Saltennano; in 1809 the operation will be repeated, however, under the Napoleonic government moving our castle under Monteroni la mairie (town), putting an end to the secular self-governing community, and hiding it in history.